Sunday, October 4, 2009

yelp me if you can!

7446 Madison St Ste 1
(between Beloit Ave & Burkhardt Ct)
Forest Park, IL 60130
(708) 366-7588
Old School Records, Forest Park, IL

12 reviews for Old School Records

9/30/2009

This little shop is what dreams are made of. After a few years of relying on Ebay to nab albums that I couldn't find in other music stores, I stumbled upon Old School Records. In a matter of minutes I was able to locate the very three CDs I'd most recently been searching for and the great price sealed the deal for me.

Old School Records specializes in, of course, records, but they also have a good selection of CDs, which are what I usually go for. The prices are reasonable, especially considering the array of music they supply and the people who own the place are just as nice as can be. If you're on the hunt for a hard-to-find album then I'd recommend you give this place a try. They also carry lots of discounted DVDs and VHS tapes that are worth checking out.


6/1/2009

A great local record/CD store. The owners are super friendly and knowledgeable. Check out their record display in the window and see if you can guess the theme!

Old School Records is just that....old school. This place is a wonderful throwback. You can flip through records, which just feels good. The owners of the shop are extremely knowledgeable about music, which proved to be a huge help for me. I don't buy records for myself anymore, but my dad still collects them. I went in there to buy a gift for my dad and gave the owner two bands that my dad liked. He was able to make about 5 recommendations for me. I picked one, and my dad absolutely loved it! He was right on the money with his recs. They also have a great CD collection and a nice used DVD selection.


2/22/2009

Holy Crap - taken out of the film "High Fidelity". Obscure records, excellent quality/condition, and no smarmy, "Too Cool" bullshit from the employees. The prices are excellent on new and used music and they are very hip to turning you onto new artists. Really great collection of LPs and CDs and cassette tapes.

9/28/2008

I happen to stumble on this play on accident and I was blown away. I can spend hours and hours running my grubby little fingers through records...I did the last time I went.

I noticed that they had a much larger selection of records than some of the other places I've been to. They had several of the Bob Dylan, Parliament records that were not available at the other places. Also, I found a copy of Slint by surprise...still sealed. Like all other places, they still have the bargain bin records for .99 cents. Everything was moderately prices and included hard to find items. Great selection of Jazz and Blues albums also!

They do have CDs there, however I don't buy CDs and couldn't tell you anything about them.


3/27/2009

Probably the best old school record store left in the Chicagoland area. Jodi and Peter always have excellent recommendations for me now that they know what I like after a few visits. You get personal service from real music aficionados. No 'high fidelity' attitude. Just real people who love music as much as you do. Plenty of new releases on CD along with an awesome selection of used vinyl, cassettes, vhs and dvds too. If you want it and they don't have it, just ask and they will get it for you. You can't go wrong visiting this store, but you might leave with a little less $$ in your wallet 'cause there's so much cool stuff to be had!


4/1/2008

Another good record shop with a collection about as extensive as they can fit into their space. A lot of the LP's are crammed underneath and are very hard to get to. Good selection of used CD's, and I love the fact that they still have a display case full of cassette tapes.


5/26/2008

Made my first trip here last week. Pete played great stuff during my visit. Found lots of great stuff here. Great selection across the board. weekly stop for me!


4/25/2008

I bought my first LPs here from the 99c bin. Here's what I got:

Peter Gabriel- the one w/ 'sledgehammer'
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Ministry - With Sympathy

Then I also bought Bad Brains and Talking Heads. Both were under $6.

So what, all of this for around 15 bucks. How about that for record store finds? Go to this store, search through their cheapo bin and you're bound to find some great stuff.


3/27/2009

with a record store, you pretty much know what you're looking for.

'i'm going to get the new springsteen. i'll get in, get out, pop it into the cd player in the car, and jam out.'

well, with OSR, when you step up to the counter you meet jodi or peter. "so you like springsteen?" they ask as they punch the register.

"yeah."

"have you heard the hold steady? or gaslight anthem?"

"huh, what?"

"yes, you might even like the national."

and then they hook you at the counter with a cd player, headphones and a pile of cds. it's like a brick and mortar http://pandora.com.

it's an awesome record store clearly based in an old school philosophy. rock on!


9/15/2005

This place is really cool. I stop in here periodically to check out their jazz albums. They carry tons of vinyl records -- something I can't seem to find in too many places these days. They also carry lots of the contemporary music in all different forms -- cassette tapes, cds, and vinyl. This family owned place is great and has wonderful, friendly serivce.


10/22/2005

I've never seen this place but I was walking by and decided to see what the store was all about. It doesn't have a huge selection of CD's but if you are still buying vinyl, this is the place for you. More than half of the store is records. And not just old stuff, although there is some of that, but new stuff too. I found a single of "Don't Phunk with My Heart" from the Black Eyed Peas. They also have a good selection of used DVDs for $4-10 dollars. Some might be more but all the ones I was interetsed in buying were in that price range.


No comments: